Each November, Scouts can be seen leaving bags at local residents’ doors and boxes at local organizations and businesses to collect nonperishable food donations. Scouting for Food is a “Good Turn” initiative by the Boy Scouts of America to help local food banks around the holidays.
How can your Unit participate? Commit using the button below! Each Unit must commit online to be able to receive the collection bags and boxes.
NEW! Moo Moo Car Wash is a new partner of Scouting for Food this year! Their 13 central Ohio Moo Moo Car Wash locations will act as collection locations all November long and donate the items collected to local food banks.
Thanks for participating in Scouting for Food!
Box and Bag Distribution:
- Starting the week of October 23th (Available at Columbus, Chillicothe, and Portsmouth Offices)
- November roundtables
For more information on the food drive, please contact Kayla Drieth
Tips and timeline for participating in Scouting for Food:
- October –
- Determine how many Scouts will participate and how many adults will be available to drive when picking up food
- Determine to which food bank or soup kitchen your unit will be giving the collected items
- Determine how your unit will be participating (there are multiple ways possible)
- Determine the number of bags and boxes needed
- Come pick up your bags or boxes at any council service center
- Talk to other units to get them to participate (consider a friendly competition)
- November –
- Collect as many cans as possible (Report your total collected)
- December –
- Report your results and order your patches on this website
- Deliver your collected food items to a food bank or soup kitchen (be sure to report your results first!)
- January –
- Celebrate your success and thank all your Scouts and parents for participating
- At University of Scouting and January Roundtable – Pay for and pick up your patches